On Jul 19, 2004, at 8:34 AM, Philip Newton wrote:
> "One of the imagined languages of Tlön lacks nouns. Its central units
> are "impersonal verbs qualified by monosyllabic suffixes or prefixes
> which have the force of adverbs." Borges offers us, for what would be
> our own "The moon rose above the water" a Tlönic equivalent: "Upward
> behind the onstreaming it mooned." In another language of Tlön, "the
> basic unit is not the verb, but the monosyllabic adjective," which, in
> combinations of two or more, are noun-forming: "moon" becomes
> "airy-clear over dark-round" or "orange-faint-of-sky." ["Tlön...",
> p.115]"  (from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tl%F6n,_Uqbar,_Orbis_Tertius)
> Cheers,
> --
> Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Anyone know how that "upward behind the onstreaming it mooned" goes in
Spanish?

-Stephen (Steg)
  "You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, in the moment that
   you touch perfect speed.  And that isn't flying a thousand
   miles an hour, or a million, or flying at the speed of light.
   Because any number is a limit, and perfection doesn't have
   limits.  Perfect speed, my son, is being there."
      ~ _jonathan livingston seagull_ by richard bach