Great job in my humble opinion -and  I wouldn't sedate - despite the fact that anxiety appeared to impede his mechanics/efficiency of breathing.
The dose of nebulised adrenaline we use in this age group would be 5mg.
We have access to senior paeds anaethetists who would be our first choice for the airway - and if needle cric is required i suspect an EP might be in the best position to perform this...ENT - perhaps they are best placed to handle the more controlled theatre environment and a more definitive solution.
my 2c
Rob Ojala

Dr R.A.Ojala FACEM
 Emergency Physician
The Emergency Department
Christchurch Hospital
Christchurch, NZ
Ph(03)3640270
www.cdhb.govt.nz/ed/

>>> "Lisa Amir, MD, MPH" <[log in to unmask]> 29/08/04 23:13:38 >>>
I'd like any thoughts the group might have on this case.
A four year who one year previously suffered severe head trauma due to a MVA with prolonged intubation. A tracheostomy was eventually performed and the child suffers from severe subglottic stenosis.  Two months ago he was decanulated and was at home with a pulse ox and supplemental O2 prn.  According to the father he has slowly worsening stridor over a five day period and then presented to the ED.  No fever or cough, no other sytemic complaints.  He had no stridor at rest with 98% saturation and moderate intercostal and sternal retracions, no fever.  He was triaged as semi-urgent and initially seen by a resident in 20 minutes.  During the exam the child became extremely agitated, developed perioral cyanosis and marked inspiratory and expiratory stridor and was transferred to the resuscitation room.  When I initially examined the child he was extremely agitated, thrashing around on the bed, with saturations of 75%; he refused all oxygen in any manner ( mask, canula, canula wi!
th cup, etc.  We placed him on his grandfather (the father was too agitated to help) and we eventually calmed him sufficiently to take a nonrebreather mask with slow rise in his saturations to 95%. He received two inhalations in rapid succession of adrenaline 1 mg and budesonide 1 mg with some improvement in his respiratory distress.  He appeared to have fallen asleep for several minutes and when he awakened he again became severely agitated, decreased saturations to 60-65% and had loss of bowel and bladder control with slow resolution of the episode with oxygen and calming by GF. He had two more episodes like this.

Concommitantly I consulted with the ENT and PICU docs who knew him and recommended fibroscopic intubation with heliox in the OR. Due to techinical difficuties (first year ENT resident who needed to wait for his attending, equipment in the adjacent adult hospital which needed to be transferred) it took about 40 minutes to get him upstairs. We discussed sedation agents but due to  the concern that he might irreversibly obstruct his airway with loss of tone, it was decided not to administer ( We don't have heliox in the ED yet).

The denoument: in OR found to have 1mm diameter of trachea, unable to intubate, used LMA and tracheostomy performed.

Any management suggestions? Would you have administered a sedative and if so, what?

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Check out our web site:
http://www.cdhb.govt.nz

This email and attachments have been scanned for content and viruses
and is believed to be clean
This email or attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information intended for the sole use of the addressee(s).
Any use, redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message,
except as intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please notify the sender and remove all copies of the message,
including any attachments. Any views or opinions expressed in this
email (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of Canterbury
District Health Board

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: