Lou Burnard asked me to draw your attention to our discussion on
<publisher> and <pubPlace> on SourceForge
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1012815&group_id=106328&atid=644065).

For your convenience, let me restate the problem. Consider the
following bibliographic entry for a working paper with three
publishers:

    Müller, Gereon (1998). German word order and Optimality Theory.
        Arbeitspapiere des Sonderforschungsbereichs 340, 126.
        Universität Stuttgart, Universität Tübingen, and
        Heidelberg: IBM.

P4's <monogr> (within <biblStruct>) wraps the publication information
into an <imprint> element. There is no wrapper element for a
publisher and publication place pair, though:

    <imprint>
      <publisher>Universität Stuttgart</publisher>
      <publisher>Universität Tübingen</publisher>
      <pubPlace>Heidelberg</pubPlace>
      <publisher>IBM</publisher>
      <date>1998</date>
    </imprint>

So without an order convention for <publisher> and <pubPlace>, a
formatting stylesheet has no clue for determining whether Heidelberg
applies to IBM, the University of Tübingen, the University of
Stuttgart, or to all three of them.

Three solutions for this problem have been proposed so far. (Proposals
1 and 2 originate from the xml-biblio-discuss list; proposal 3 is
Lou's.)

1. Drop <pubPlace> and in favour of <orgName> and <placeName> children
of <publisher>:

    <imprint>
      <publisher>
        <orgName>Universität Stuttgart</orgName>
      </publisher>
      <publisher>
        <orgName>Universität Tübingen</orgName>
      </publisher>
      <publisher>
        <placeName>Heidelberg</placeName>
        <orgName>IBM</orgName>
      </publisher>
      <date>1998</date>
    </imprint>

Note that this is similar to the (optional) use of a <persName> child
in <author> and <editor>:

    <author>
      <persName>
        <foreName>Gereon</foreName>
        <surname>Müller</surname>
      </persName>
    </author>

2. Introduce a wrapper element for <publisher> and <pubPlace>, named,
e.g., "publication":

    <imprint>
      <publication>
        <publisher>Universität Stuttgart</publisher>
      </publication>
      <publication>
        <publisher>Universität Tübingen</publisher>
      </publication>
      <publication>
        <pubPlace>Heidelberg</pubPlace>
        <publisher>IBM</publisher>
      </publication>
      <date>1998</date>
    </imprint>

3. Use <imprint> as the wrapper element:

    <imprint>
      <publisher>Universität Stuttgart</publisher>
    </imprint>
    <imprint>
      <publisher>Universität Tübingen</publisher>
    </imprint>
    <imprint>
      <pubPlace>Heidelberg</pubPlace>
      <publisher>IBM</publisher>
    </imprint>
    <date>1998</date>

(Was this what you had in mind, Lou?)

Andreas Nolda
--
Andreas Nolda      http://www2.hu-berlin.de/linguistik/institut/nolda/

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Philosophische Fakultät II
Institut für deutsche Sprache und Linguistik