Ray Brown scripsit:

> I that was the point of the Iliad - the futility of war. It's surely not
> the fighting that's main theme of the Iliad (it focuses on only a very
> small part of the Trojan war) - it's the person of Achilles. I find the
> meeting of Priam & Achilles, when Priam comes to ransom the body of
> Hector, very moving.

Indeed.  The _Iliad_ nailed down once and for all (and for the first
time in world literature, AFAWK) that the death of an enemy is still
tragic, not something to rejoice over.

--
John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  [log in to unmask]
[T]here is a Darwinian explanation for the refusal to accept Darwin.