On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:48:38 -0400, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'd also expect |j| to represent a voiced sound ([J\j\], maybe).

Chinese stops and affricates differ in aspiration, not voicing; AFAIK,
they're all unvoiced.

Hence the Wade-Giles ch, ch' for Pinyin zh, ch (as well as j, q) - and
similar uses of "unvoiced" characters e.g. k, k' for Pinyin g /k/, k
/k_h/.

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:38:38 -0400, Mark Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> But who in the heck designed Pinyin?

I'm told the use of |q| may be influenced by Albanian, where it's /c/
IIRC (close enough to /tS)/ or, indeed, /ts\/, that foreigners often
confuse it with || /tS)/).

Something about how Albania, being a communist country at the time,
was one of the few "European" countries with whom China had relations,
so their version of the Latin alphabet may have influenced PY.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Watch the Reply-To!