Ray wrote:

<<But this side of the Pond, "smote" is only the preterite; the past
participle here is "smitten" and is not particularly rare.>>

In one of the classes I TA'd for a list of the rarest irregular verbs in
English.  I can't remember a lot of them, and when I find the handout,
I'll post some, but one I *do* remember is "beshit" (whose past tense
is formed with an "a").  Certainly that one won't be in the Bible and is
probably *much* rarer than "to smite", which is now, I'd argue, quite
frequently used for its humor value (i.e., it's archaic, and therefore
funny).

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.free.fr/