Ray Brown scripsit:

> Yes, I have met "England" used to mean "Great Britain" - really gets up
> the nose of Scots & Welsh. But is it really used to include six counties
> of Ireland as well? How ignorant can a person get? I cannot imagine that
> either Republicans or Loyalists in the 6 counties like being called
> English!!!

In historical works, it's routine to see that France did this and England
did that, meaning by the latter the U.K.

> Prince Charles
> has wisely stated that he will, if he outlives his Mum (and her Mum lived
> to be 101), be crowned 'George'

How sad.  How very sad.

What is he worried about?  That if he is crowned as Charles III, he will
offend the large and powerful :-) Jacobite faction which applies that
title to Charles II's son?  *They* don't recognize the House of Windsor
in any event.

And it's not even as if all the kings of the Hanover/Windsor dynasty
are named George: we already have had two Edwards and a William.
Why not a Charles?

I greatly admire Elizabeth's courage in taking the throne in her own name.
> Indeed, it is not. The actual Province of Ulster consists of _nine_
> counties, three of which are in the Republic. But the Loyalists do use
> the term Ulster quite a lot, seemingly as tho it were coterminous.

For which informal use, a certain loon attacked me for being in the
pay of the English -- meaning, I suppose, Reuters.  And me a good
Hiberno-Deutsch American.

--
There are three kinds of people in the world:   John Cowan
those who can count,                            http://www.reutershealth.com