Steg Belsky wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2004, at 2:42 AM, Roger Mills wrote:
--otherwise all
> > languages would have the same word order (at least, according to some
> > linguists). >
>
> > Don't they???? (Signed, Noam)   :-)))))))

Hey! That wasn't an insult, just a mild poking of fun........(I need to
revive and popularize my emoticon for "elephantine humor"-- was it )O~ or
/O~ ??)

> Noam Chomsky's first name is generally pronounced /no:m/, right?  (as
> opposed to other "Noam"s where the /a/ is pronounced).
>
> So i was wondering, do any of his ideological/theory-disagreeing
> opponents call him "the Gnome" /no:m/ as an insult? ;-)

I've mostly heard (and use) ['no(w)@m], with [nom] as a casual or
fast-speech variant.  I've never heard him called Gnome (he's hardly
gnome-like in person IMO), but then there's the famous  Nim Chimpsky.....
(And the famous radical Gwr scholar Chang Shi Noq Ang (2659-2701 p.m.), who
also held that all languages were, at bottom, the same.)