On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:04:44 -0400, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 06:41:17PM +0000, Jeremy Kleier wrote:
>> Can anyone provide the X-Sampa for the Japanese word 'tsunami'?
> Isn't it [ts)]?

I would be rather tempted to notate the Japanese |a| as /V/ rather than
either /a/ or /A/. That's what I've been taught by three different sources.

NB that I can barely say "Nihongo ga wakarimasen", but I *have* studied
two different books and a Pimsleur course. The books both said to use the
|u| in the British English word |cut|, and the Pimsleur sounds to my ear
like it agrees. The dribs and drabs of Japanese TV and radio I've
witnessed kinda give me the same impression.