On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:22:00 -0400, Trebor Jung <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Apparently, Cebuano has uvulars-- or at least that's the impression I get
>from the spelling. I never knew Cebuano (or Austronesianlangs, for that
>matter) had such sounds...
>
>"(38) a. nag-tawag ang babayi nakuq.
>SUBJ.FOCUS,DUR-call TOPIC woman 1SG,NONTOPIC
>'the woman was calling me'
>b. babayi ang nag-tawag nakuq.
>woman TOPIC SUBJ.FOCUS,DUR-call 1SG,NONTOPIC
>'the one who was calling me was a woman'"
>
>(from the excellent clause-type paper
><http://linguistics.buffalo.edu/people/faculty/dryer/dryer/clausetypes.pdf>
)

>In the Conlang Collaboration group, Paul Bennett írta: "...let me quickly
>summarise the split-S language Guarani, because it's quite interesting:
>
>"Transitive verbs ('give', 'steal', 'know') take A and O
>Intransitive verbs ('go', 'remain', 'follow') take S_a
>Quality verbs (used for adjectives) take S_o
>
>"Transitive and Intransitive verbs may be placed in the imperative. Quality
>verbs cannot."
>
>This sounds pretty cool! Does anyone have any other info on Guarani?
>(Quotes from books would be appreciated... :) ) I've read a bit about its
>phonology online and that's pretty cool too...

If you know Spanish, then the following articles may interest you:

http://www.vjf.cnrs.fr/celia/Fr/Am_Lang.htm#GUARANI

I found after all the following article interesting. The second section is
full of samples. I must warn you that even though it's written in Spanish
it's a typical German article, with much content but few structure:

http://www.vjf.cnrs.fr/celia/FichExt/Am/A_14_02.htm

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:36:07 +0100, Tamas Racsko <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On 19 Sep 2004 J”rg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@WEB...> wrote:
>> > Quality verbs (used for adjectives) take S_o
>> >
>> > "Transitive and Intransitive verbs may be placed in the imperative.
>> > Quality verbs cannot."
>> >
>> > This sounds pretty cool!
>>
>> And it makes sense, as the quality verbs are not about actually *doing*
>> something.  It is the same way in my conlang Old Albic (a fluid-S
>> language).
>
>  AFAIK |tasy| 'be-ill' is a quality verb in Guarani: |xe rasy| 'I
>am-ill', |nde rasy| 'you are-ill', |hasy| < *|ha'e tasy| 'he/she is-
>ill', |nda.ore.rasy.i| 'we-are-not-ill'.

Not that I'd know much about it, but I doubt that the initial alternation
between t-r-h (as in _tape_ 'way', _xe rape_, 'my way',
_hape_ 'his/her/their way') can be explained with _ha'e_.

>  If this verb has no imperative, how can English sentence 'Do not
>be ill!' is translated into Guarani?

I doubt that the available grammars would answer whether this is
grammatical in Guarani.

gry@s:
j. 'mach' wust