On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:01:13 +0100, Joe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Mark J. Reed wrote:
>> Still, I feel the name England should be reserved to refer only to the .
>> . . what is it, technically, a state? . . . of England, which is located
>> on the island of Great Britain (why the adjective, btw?  Is or was there
>> a Not-so-great Britain?), which is part of the nation called the United
>> Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).
>
> Generally we call the individual parts of the UK 'countries', but in
> legislation, I think they're usually 'parts'.   And the
> 'not-so-great-Britain' is Brittany.

"Parts" appears to be right for legal.  The Wikipedia calls England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland "nations", collectively the "Home Nations".

	*Muke!
--
website:     http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/