Hallo!

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:58:39 -0400,
"Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is there a separate list for conculturing vs. conlanging?  I was
> wondering if anyone had created new sports that are played in their
> conculture.  Would seem to be a good source of specialized vocabulary
> needing no gloss.   Or tabletop games (card/board), for that matter . .
> .

There is the Conculture mailing list ([log in to unmask])
of course, but it has been virtually hi-jacked by the Ill Bethisad
folks.  I'd say an occasional conculture post here isn't objectionable
- more than half of the list traffic on CONLANG has even less to do
with *conlangs* than that.

Regarding con-sports, I have only a few *very* sketchy ideas about
Elvish (Old Albic) sports.  They ran, swam, rode horses, played a
ball game similar to field hockey, and had a martial arts tradition
somewhat resembling east Asian martial arts.  And while the ancient
Greeks performed their exercises naked (the words "gymnasium" and
"gymnastics" contain the word _gymnos_ `naked'), the Elves performed
theirs (even swimming) fully clothed.

I don't know of parlour games yet, but I have to invent a board game
or two for them some day.

Greetings,

Jörg.