On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:11:52 -0700, Elliott Lash <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> --- Ray Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  >
>> > In the texts we have, we have '-cue' meaning
>> 'and'.  We also have */p/
>> > being lost  - 'uer' for Latin 'super'.
>>
>> The loss of IE /p/ is common to both Q and P
>> 'Celts'. If _uer_ is cognate
>> with Latin _super_ we also have a loss of /s/.
>> That's very slight evidence.
>
> Well, actually, it's probably a case of that so-called
> IE phenomena "moveable-s"
>
> The word may have been:
>   *s-uperi
>   *uperi
>
>  O.E       ofer
>  Sanskrit  upari
>  Celtic    uer > maybe: O. Irish  for 'on'
>  Greek     hyper  (from *super(i))
>  Latin     super

Actually Greek |hyper| isn't necessarily from *super, given that all initial y- (save the name of the letter itself) comes out to hy- in any case, whether there was an *s or not.  Given that Italic is apparently the only one with an *s there (which it also has in |sub|, which again isn't attested in other families) the Italic s- is probably an innovation.

	*Muke!
--
website:     http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/