On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:11:19 -0400, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Immediate diversion away from YAEPT:
> Interestingly, Proto-Austronesian had both *-iw and *-uy (= -uj) in final
> position; both quite rare, and often treated irregularly in descendants.

Tagalog has a few words with a final -iw:

sisiw - chick
baliw - insane, mad
daniw - custom
giliw - affection, fondness
magiliw - friendly (the adjectival form of giliw, of course)
pag-aaliw - pleasure

Hiligaynon has final -iw in the following:

bidyiw - spear, harpoon
paksiw - dish of meat cooked with vinegar

--
And when you saw it all come, it was waving the flag
Of the united states of calamity, hey!

Sleep the Clock Around  - Belle and Sebastian