On Oct 4, 2004, at 8:38 PM, Rodlox wrote:
>> I think a-e ligature stands for Latin ae [aj] and for when Latin
>> borrows
>> Greek ai (same diphthong). The o-e lig is Latin oe, Greek oi [oj].

>  okay, now that that issue has been clarified (much thanks,
> everyone!)...do
> those sounds occur in Hebrew?  Roman-era, basically.

Quoting from a previous message...

	From: 	  [log in to unmask]
	Subject: 	Re: [CONLANG] Hebrew?
	Date: 	October 1, 2004 11:24:35 AM IDT
	To: 	  [log in to unmask]

On Oct 1, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Rodlox wrote:

>>>  one looks like a conjoined  AE....and hte other, like a conjoined
>>> OE.
>>>  btw, what's a "ligature"? *curious*

>> Oh, then that *is* what you meant?
>> "ligature" = more than one letter written as one.  i.e. your
>> 'conjoined' letters.
>> So the question is, what *sounds* do you mean by AE and OE?  I can
>> think of a number of possibilities for each one, based on their use in
>> Latin, Old English, Modern English, French, and other languages.

>  the sounds of Latin/Classical Greek/Hebrew.

Okay, i don't know about Greek, but from what i've read, in Latin, |ae|
and |oe| (sometimes spelled ligature'd) represented /aj/ and /oj/, i.e.
diphthongs beginning with /a/ (for AE) and /o/ (for OE) and ending at
/i/.  Hebrew does have these sounds.

For example:
_day_ /daj/ (sounds like English "die" in my dialect) = "enough"
_goy_ /goj/ = "nation" or "Non-Jew"

-Stephen (Steg)
  "it's easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission."
      ~ walter slovotsky, _guardians of the flame_