On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:48:46 +0100, Ray Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> But 'agendae' - ach y fi! A plural of a plural! How long before
> we meet "datae"?

Or "omnibi"?

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:25:55 +0100, Ray Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Groan!! I remember when we had 'datum' with it plural 'data'.

In German, we have "Datum" with two meanings: the generic meaning, as
in English (an item, a piece of information), which is rare, and a
specific one: date (the day on which something takes place), which is
very common.

In my company, the word is occasionally pluralised as *Datümer in the
second sense (using the common but IMO not productive plural "-er),
since the regular plural Daten nearly always refers to "data".

*Datümer is, strictly speaking, wrong, but the distinction is useful,
especially since computer programmers have to deal not only with dates
but also with data frequently.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>