Chris writes:

>Isaac A. Penzev wrote:
>
>>Chris Bates wrote:
>>
>>>I get English, Spanish (well, one dialect of Spanish... the rest just
>>>pronounce it s)... *thinks* what else am I missing? I know there are
>>>lots more... Arabic has it doesn't it? I might be wrong about that one...
>>>

>>I can add Arabic, Swahili, Mn Greek, Bashkir, Turkmen (not sure about this
>>one).

And let's not forget my lang, Géarthnuns, which has /T/ and /D/ :).

>The same trend is much more widespread in the north, and many of my
>northern (as
>in northern england) friends at university simply can't manage to
>pronounce T. Its always f in their speech. For some reason T isn't
>popular... but its one of the sounds I like most in English. :) I
>dislike the way people who pronounce it f sound, but that use seems to
>be growing. :(

The modern Géarthnuns verb "héf", "sleep", has an alternative
archaic/dialect/poetic form "héth", which only really has an impact
on the hortative/jussive form ("zçöt-héf" vs. "héthta"). That's the
only example I'm aware of -- I guess the "trend" was quashed on
Géarthtörs before it even got started.

Kou