On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:13:05 +0200, Rodlox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> an isolate either at the beginning of a sentance (common), or just before
> the word...and the trigger can change the meaning of a sentance by simply
> being one letter different.

Well no, a trigger/focus _indicates_ the part of the sentence which is
the focus of it (sort of like what's emphazised, as we do in English
when we pronounce something with a stronger intonation: _I_ hit him
vs. I hit _HIM_). Triggers affixes do not necessarily change in form,
at least in the Philippine languages

Langoy - swimming
lumangoy - neutral
lumangoy - completed
lalangoy - contemplated
lumalangoy - incomplete

As Philippine languages use aspect (neutral, incomplete, contemplated,
completed), and not tense, I didn't say "swim, swam, swum". The only
consonant changes that happen are for aspect, not for the trigger
itself.

The trigger affixes which do show change with their initial consonant
are the ones beginning in m: mag- , ma-, mang-:

Laba - wash
maglaba - neutral
naglaba - completed
maglalaba - contemplated
naglalaba - incomplete

The other affixes show no such mutation, but this mutation isn't
generated by proximity of other consonant or vowel sounds either. It's
simply a device to indicate aspect. Even then for those affixes which
do not show it, other ways are used:

A very interesting trigger is the ipag- trigger. It shows infixing
within _itself_ with the "in" affix! It is a benefactive trigger (the
infixed affix within the ipag affix is in caps):

luto - cook
ipagluto - neutral
ipINagluto - completed
ipagluluto - contemplated
ipINagluluto - incomplete

Reduplication of the first syllable of the root is common for
indicating aspect as well.

--
You can turn away from me
but there's nothing that'll keep me here you know

Scooby Show - Belle and Sebastian