Did I miss something?  It seems I read in recent messages:
1) "ss" if in different syllables, "฿" if in the same syllable.
2) How do you tell if there are two different syllables?
3) If it's "ss," then there are two different syllables, if "฿," then
they are in the same syllable.
????????????

--- In [log in to unmask], "J. 'Mach' Wust" <j_mach_wust@Y...>
wrote:
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:18:20 +0100, Joe <joe@W...> wrote:

>Pascal A. Kramm wrote:
>
>>>The rules for the usage of the |฿|,
>>>BTW, have been simplified in the spelling reform.
>>
>>Nope, the exact opposite is true.
>>Before: ss if the two s fall into different syllables (Mes-ser),
else ฿.

>Tell me, how do you tell that the two are in different syllables?

If it's |ss|, then it's two syllables; if it's |฿|, then only one. :)

In Switzerland, we have: |heis-sen|, whereas in Germany/Austria/etc.
they
have |hei-฿en|. That means that you can't decide whether to have an
|฿|
based on syllable division. The old rules were more complicated.

gry@s:
j. 'mach' wust
--- End forwarded message ---