 --- "J. 'Mach' Wust" <[log in to unmask]> skrev:

> It's a simplistic overview that concentrates on the
> generation of ego and
> the parent generation, irrespective of their
> relative ages, but I like the
> page. Another feature that it lacks is the
> distinction between old and
> young brother and sister found in many languages.

Yes, indeed.

I found some information, although incomplete, about
kinship terms in Russian. What is striking is that
husband and wife don't use the same terms when talking
about each other's family.

For ex:
- (real) husband's father: svjokor
- (real) husband's mother: svekrov' (or: svjokruxa ?)
but:
- (real) wife's father: test'
- (real) wife's mother: tjoshcha

- husband's brother: dever'
- husband's sister: zolovka
but:
- wife's brother: shurin
- wife's sister: svojatshenitsa

- wife's sister's husband: svojak

Daughter's husband, sister's husband and husband's
sister's husband are all called "zjat'".

(Father's or mother's) (brother's or sister's) son and
daughter are called 'dvojurodnyj brat' and
'dvojurodnaja sestra' (in French, we simply call them
'cousin / cousine'). There are also 'trojurodnyje'
(the children of the former)...

When half brothers or sisters have same father,
they're called 'edinokroviye' (= from same blood). If
they have same mother, they're called 'utrobnye' (=
from same belly).

There seems to be many more words yet, I guess that
some are a little out of use by now. Anyway, I'll stop
here, because I got a severe headache.

=====
Philippe Caquant

Ceterum censeo *vi* esse oblitterandum (Me).