caeruleancentaur scripsit:

> This clitic has survived in two words, although without meaning
> simply "and": sesqui- & ubiquity.  The question had to do with the
> Romance languages, but I know that Spanish, French & Italian all use
> cognates of "ubiquity."

Borrowings, more likely.  The Romance languages are shot full of
borrowings from Latin, only lightly adjusted to the changed phonology.
In some cases, they also have semi-learned borrowings that have changed
partly but not altogether.  In Spanish, e.g. we have reja 'grid', regla
'rule', and regular 'regular', all from REGULA(RIS).

--
There are three kinds of people in the world:   John Cowan
those who can count,                            http://www.reutershealth.com