On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:58:19PM +0200, Daniel Asserbo wrote:
> >Both: 'I have no car', lit.: 'I have not car.'

I think the Scandinavian examples are actually identical in form is to
the English pair of phrases  "I have no car" vs. "I don't have a car".
Both have the same meaning, but expressed via different syntactic
structures: one uses a quantifier meaning "zero" on the object, whilte
the other uses no qualifier and simply negates the verb.

I guess what makes it look odd from a French perspective is that in
French you apparently have to do both?

-Marcos