On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:32:12 -0400, Paul Bennett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Ordinarily, you could also use something called UTF-8 to send Unicode
> messages, which can be read by more people. However, the software that
> runs the mailing list occasionally (and, for all practical purposes,
> randomly) mangles UTF-8 characters. I think we ought to perform some kind
> of research to find out exactly which characters are mangled in this way,
> but here and now is probably not the environment. It has to do with their
> underlying bytes containing values 128-160, IIRC, but there's no simple
> memorable way to tell which actual characters will be effected.

Any character whose UTF-8 representation contains in hex "A0" (non-breaking
space) will be mangled by the listserv, because it will be converted to "20"
(regular space).   There was another, rarer mangulation, but I didn't figure
out what it was.

	*Muke!
--
website:     http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/