Jean-Fran´┐Żois Colson scripsit:

> Every Chinese character is a word by itself and words of several
> characters can be considered as (sometimes idiomatic) compounds. Right?

It would be more accurate to say that Chinese characters correspond to
morphemes and that most Chinese words have more than one morpheme.
There are some morphemes written with more than one character,
representing borrowings from other languages.

--
John Cowan  [log in to unmask]  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Heckler: "Go on, Al, tell 'em all you know.  It won't take long."