From:    Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>
> I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Just combine Khoisan phonemic inventories
> with Georgian syllable structure, and you're looking at millions of
> distinctive _syllables_ already. Waitaminnit, and I'll get my virtual
> envelope ...
>
> Lemme see; CCCCCCVCCCC syllable structure, 30 vowels and 100 consonants
> make for some 30*100^10=3*10^21 syllables already. That gives us many
> times more four-syllable words than there are electrons in the visible
> universe. Should take a while yet till we need that many words, I
> should think.

Actually, Georgian allows up to *8* preceding consonants
(e.g. gv-prckvn-i-s 'He is fleecing us'), but strongly resists
complex codas.  I'm fairly sure they allow no more than about
2 or 3 in a complex coda.  Thus more like: CCCCCCCCVCC(C). What's
more, if you count harmonic clusters as single units for purposes
of syllabification, then the number of possible onset segments goes
down some.

Thomas Wier	       "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637