On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:44:38 -0400, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> . What do you think would be a plausible reduced form of "apparently"?
>> The best I've thought of so far is /'perli/, derived by a sequence
>> something like /@'per@ntli/ > /'per@ntli/ > /perntli/ > /pertli/ >
>> /perli/.  Does this seem at all plausible?  Any other suggestions?
>
> What a neat idea!
> Just based on what I often hear, [pe~r?li]  Not sure how it would be
> spelled...  :-)

I agree about ["pE~r?li].  Also it doesn't feel like that [?] would be prone
to dropping, but who knows what the future may bring?

> supposedly or (ugh) supposably:  ['spozdli, 'spozbli]

Or, if reducing consonants like for /perli/, then /spozli/.

> We already have ['prAbli]...  /-li/ could be the marker for this class.

Even |prolly| ["prAli] is common already.

> "It is said" : ['tsEdli] ? "maybe" changes to ['mebli] :-)

Maybily!

>> . Where would it be likely to appear in the sentence?
>> A few possibilities:
>> Sentence-initial: perly hy sed that...
>> Second position:  hy perly sed that...
>> After the verb: hy sed perly that...
>
> Either initial or second, IMO.  Actually, the few languages I've heard of
> that use evidentials put them, I think, at the end.

I think since they are, originally and technically still, adverbs, that
they'd go wherever necessary.  If they were to acquire sentence force though
I agree that finally probably works best (hy sed that, perly).

	*Muke!
--
website:     http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/