--- In [log in to unmask], Sally Caves <scaves@F...> wrote:
----- Original Message -----

>>Yes it is!  If you don't mind my asking, I wonder where you're from
>>in the States (are you from the States?).

I was born in CA a year before WWII.  My father (may he rest in
peace) was a sailor and a Pearl Harbor survivor.  I began to speak in
the home of my maternal grandparents where we lived during the war.
Neither of them spoke the German or Sicilian of their ancestors.  I
can not remember ever noticing an accent in my family.  Mom grew up
in Dover, NJ; Dad in Jersey City.  We lived in several states before
settling down in VA.  I have lived in VA since '48, but by that time
my speech patterns had been established.  I have always thought of
myself as having no accent, at least none that marks me as from a
particular region of America.  Who knows what Prof. Higgins might
discern!  I believe that's known as a midwestern accent, the one that
broadcasters try to emulate.  At least that's what my brother, the
DJ, told me.

Charlie