Hi!

"J. 'Mach' Wust" <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> There is no single uniform pronunciation of standard German, and the
> pronunciations vary in the realization of /r/. As I've already written, many
> varieties have [R] for the "rhotic" /r/, but other varieties have [R\] or
> [r].

Right.  And there are region that have [r\] (voiced alveolar
approximant, (not the retroflex one)).  Sounds strange to my ear, but
those people I met were still speaking Standard High German. :-)

I'd say most say [R], next comes [r], then [R\], then [r\].  But that
is vague personal intuition, not statistics.

I wouldn't say [R\] is older generation, just a different variant
(even my grandma says [R]).

BTW, for me, [R\] is toughest to pronounce, the others work well.

**Henrik