Mark J. Reed wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 05:58:35PM +0100, Andreas Johansson wrote:

>>While we're discussing changes, I might mention moving [P] to the
>>bilabial fricative (currently [p\]).
>

> Absolutely.  Besides the reasons you give, there is the fact that in the
> majority of cases, a fricative derived from a stop uses the uppercase
> version of the stop symbol in CXS: g->G, b->B, d->D, t->T.  The other
> exception is k->x (instead of *k->K), which is fine since it agrees with
> the IPA.  But I must say I find the actual use of [K] in CXS - for the
> lateral fricative - completely counterintuitive.

I agree with using [P] for [p\]; we don't need it for [v\] any more, and
I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been used for [p\] once or twice
before.

[K] doesn't look much like the l with belt symbol, but nothing else does
all that much either (except $ in some fonts if the stroke goes all the
way through).