On Nov 10, 2004, at 5:46 PM, Arnt Richard Johansen wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Steg Belsky wrote:
>> So, has anyone ever come up with a conlang where the pronunciation of
>> individual phonemes varies by some seemingly-arbitrary variable, like
>> the time of day?  Or the dominant color of the speaker's surroundings?
>> Or what the speaker ate for lunch?  Or...?

> ANAD(EW).
> In Chukchi, a possible language isolate spoken in Chokotka in Eastern
> Siberia, the phoneme /k/ is pronounced differently depending on whether
> the speaker is male or female.

But for the vast majority of people, their gender/sex remains constant
for their lifetime.  I'm talking about variable variables, things that
are constantly changing based on environment or whatever else.  Like,
for instance, if it's sunny you pronounce a word /gola/ but then if the
sun disappears behind a cloud the word gets pronounced /doru/, or
whatever :)

-Stephen (Steg)
  "Those of you lucky enough
   to have your lives -