On 10 Nov, Andrew Patterson wrote:

>I tried the sound, and it's certainly doable.
>
> I thought I'd knock up a possible symbol in paint - it's an amalgam of the
> symbol for the voiced bilabial fricative and the belt from they symbol for
> the voiceless alveolar fricative. You didn't say if your sound is voiced
> or unvoiced.

I think that I was only referring to the unvoiced fricative. But it, like
most (all?) fricatives can also be voiced.

 Anyway, I've put the symbol on the web at:

> http://www.geocities.com/endipatterson/BilateralBilabialFricative.GIF
>
> I hope you like it.

I do! I also like the esthetics of it --- how the thickness of the lines
varies with the main right or left direction of writing.
Your symbol seems based upon IPA.
I wonder, though, how CXS might be extended so as to represent this sound.

> I've been doing a bit of symbol designing actually, I did an alternative
> English alphabet. Probably not the right place to show it, but what the
> heck.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/endipatterson/alphadozen.html
>
> Maybe you can use some of the symbols or adapt them.

Interesting. But why did my browser (good ol' IE) insist that I'd
need to download a _Chinese_ font before I could see the page?!!
(I didn't download any font, and the page still came through
crystal clear, with all the symbols intact!)

Dan Sulani
likehsna rtem zuv tikuhnuh auag inuvuz vaka'a.

A word is an awesome thing.