Ray Brown wrote:

> A language could have 14 lateral fricatives - but that's probably
> over-doing it, tho theoretically possible. However, having something like
> 8 seems perfectly feasible to me.

What about a bilateral fricative? I can curl up my tongue to form a kind
of "gutter" - and using that, I can produce a bilateral palatal
fricative. It doesn't sound very different from [L], though.

Hmm, I can even make a bilateral linguolabial fricative :)

Unfortunately, the ability to curl your tongue up to a "gutter" is
determined genetically, so I suppose a language using this sound would
cause problems for a lot of its speakers.

Eylo,

René