On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> >Which IMHO says, that anything using and containing GPLed work should
> >be GPLed.
> >

> But, the definition of "containing" is specified in some detail.
> The bundling of XSLT stylesheets with an editor now looks
> to me like "mere aggregation", and thus entirely safe.

FSF has a FAQ that declares what is "mere aggregation":
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

In particular:

"Mere aggregation of two programs means putting them side by side on the
same CD-ROM or hard disk. We use this term in the case where they are
separate programs, not parts of a single program. In this case, if one of
the programs is covered by the GPL, it has no effect on the other
program.

Combining two modules means connecting them together so that they form a
single larger program. If either part is covered by the GPL, the whole
combination must also be released under the GPL--if you can't, or won't,
do that, you may not combine them."

In the case with stylesheets+Serna, we do connect stylesheet and Serna by
means of configuration files, and we do intend using them as a single
program, because user does not see where Serna ends and stylesheets start.
These two are not just residing side-by-side...

> If you like, we can put a clause in our license statement
> saying that the stylesheets can be safely aggregated
> with editing software.

But this will not be the GPL license, as it will be modified, and still
ambiguous.

Why don't you like LGPL?

Ilia Kuznetsov