And that same sound shift has taken place in Polynesian languages.  In NZ
Maori "whetu" is pronounced "fetu".  I've seen too many ignorant idiots'
letters-to-the-editor castigate the "ignorant" Maori for a prounciation
that's just a standard sound shift.

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:20, John Cowan wrote:
> And here's the evidence:
> http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/corpus/search/document.php?documentid=545
> The first word of the text, "faar", corresponds to English "where".
> It's interesting, though, that the one bit of quoted Scots text
> (as opposed to the narrative) is in a wh-dialect: "Whotten bonny".
>
> Thanks to http://www.languagelog.com for the pointer.
>
> --
> Don't be so humble.  You're not that great.             John Cowan
>         --Golda Meir

Wesley Parish
* * *
Clinersterton beademung - in all of love.  RIP James Blish
* * *
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."