On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:09, Doug Dee wrote:
> In a message dated 11/30/2004 3:32:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>
> [log in to unmask] writes:
> >It's probably true that all kinship systems have distinct terms for
> >father, mother, son, daughter, brother, and sister,
>
> I seem to recall that there are some languages that have words for
> "same-sex sibling" and "opposite-sex sibling" instead of "brother" and
> "sister."

Tok Pisin:

Em i susa bilong mi - She's my sister (Male speaker)
Em i brata bilong mi - He's my brother (Male speaker)

Em i susa bilong mi -  He's my brother (Female speaker)
Em i brata bilong mi - She's my sister (Female speaker)

I'm probably thirty years behind the times, but that was the usage I remember
from the early 70s.

--
Wesley Parish
* * *