On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:15:53 -0800, bob thornton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am making a language supposedly discovered in the
>late 1800's by Germans on an island south of the
>island Mafia on the coast of Tanzania. It includes
>"whistlized" consonants, where labialization was taken
>to such a degree that the w-sound is now a whistle, a
>voiced whistle in the case of a voiced "whistlized"
>consonant.

A German style orthography would look like this:

The phonemes are:
(plosives)
/p/ p
/b/ b
/t/ t
/d/ d
/k/ k
/g/ g
/q/ q
(nasals)
/m/ m
/n/ n
/N/ ng
(fricatives)
/P/ f
/B/ w
/T/ th
/D/ dh
/s/ s
/s_m/
/z/ s (no distinction from /s/ made in spelling)
/z_m/
/C/ ch
/j\/ jh
/x/ ch (no distinction from /C/ made in spelling)
/X/ qh
/h/ h
(laterals)
/l/ l
/L/ ll
(approximate)
/j/ j
(rhotic)
/rR\)/ r (This is a simultaneous r and R\... it is fun to pronounce.)

(affricatives)
/tT)/ tth
/dD)/ tdh
/ts)/ z
/dz)/ ds
/tC)/ tch
/dj\)/ djh
/kx)/ kch
/qX)/ qqh

("whistlized")
/s_m_W/  (_W represents "whistlization")
/z_m_W/
/C_W/ ch
/j\_W/ jh
/x_W/ ch
/t_W/ t
/d_W/ d
/k_W/ k
/g_W/ g

Vowels are:

/i/ i
/I/ i (before double consonant or end of word)
/e/ e
/&/
/@/ e (before double consonant or end of word)
/u/ u