On Sunday 05 December 2004 13:40, Stephen Mulraney wrote:
> Mark J. Reed wrote:
>
> I understood John's statement to mean that there exist kinship systems
> where all kinship terms are reciprocal, rather then "there exist kinship
> systems where there exist terms that are reciprocal". I'm intruiged now as
> to whether that's what he meant. It wouldn't seem to fit into the
> Sudanese-Hawaiian- Eskimo-Iroquois-Omaha-Crow (SHEIOC? SHECIO? HESICO?
> SEHICO?) classification, but maybe it's more a feature of discourse, rather
> than  of the underlying kinship system.

I would like to see a kinship system in which all the terms are reciprocal.
I've kinda wanted that for Kelen, but I'm not sure how it would work,
exactly. I can imagine a Keleñi person saying:
selneñ anpára for 'we (paucal, exclusive (hence, dual)) are mo-dau-relation'
But then, I think they also use animate nouns, like:
mapára for 'mother, mother's-sister'.
maláca for 'daughter, girl, young woman'.
-S
--
Sylvia Sotomayor

Kélen language info can be found at:
http://home.netcom.com/~sylvia1/Kelen/kelen.html

This post may contain the following:
á (a-acute)  é (e-acute)  í (i-acute)
ó (o-acute)  ú (u-acute)  ñ (n-tilde)

áe ñarra anmárienne cí áe reharra anmárienne lá;