So, you are a francophone!  I was really actually responding to the other conlanger who suggested German as a template. As for this idea of yours, I think you ought to go about implementing it, Number One!  I think it's terrific.  In my language, Teonaht, only the articles (not the nouns they modify) demonstrate volitionality or non-volitionality.  So I see this idea as original and promising.  Why duplicate linguistic information?  The Welsh put singular nouns after numbers; the number already implies plurality, and Teonaht has adopted this rule as well.

If Matt Pearson were still online, he might be able to tell you what he does with his "determiners" in Tokana.  I think of Tokana as being very efficient.

Sally
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]"># 1
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: plural

Sally Caves wrote:

> I think French comes even closer, if only aurally!  Le chat, les chats;
> l'implication, les implications; une technique, des techniques, etc.

My mother tongue is the frensh and I know that fact about the plural. Usually, plurals are unaudible, because final "s" or "x" are not pronounced so it is audible only with the other plural forms like "aux". it is why it is more simple to learn to speak frensh than to write it, the flexions are very present but only on writings, when we speak the plural is like the singular and the first, second, and third person singular conjugaisons are often the same.

But even unaudible, it is a plural change.

Nobody knows about a language (or conlang, because I'm probalby not the first to have that idea) that uses to form the plural on the article?