I was stretching perhaps the application of the description of <roleName>

(roleName) contains a name component which indicates that the referent has
a particular role or position in society, such as an official title or
rank
http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/ref-ROLENAME.html

a photographer being a particular role in society...

I do think that the mention of "the referent" here doesn't quite jive
with the mention the "role of this part of the name" elsewhere in the
Guidelines >   http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/ND.html#NDPER

So we can revisit the use case and model the information as if it were
a virtual caption. [A caption that actually occurs in a document
instance could be captured by the <caption> element in the <figDesc>
element -- whether a caption is part of a figure or part of its
description is a very nice distinction ...]

The element available for our virtual caption is the <rs> reference
string. Below I give the "type attribute onthe <rs> element the value
_credit_ since the presence of the name is a way of crediting the creator
much like a signature.

<figure entity="BarVict334a" id="BarVict334a">
<head> ....
<persName>
       <foreName>Ans</foreName>
       <surname>Westra</surname>
       <rs type="credit">photographer</rs>
</persName>
</head>
</figure>

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/jardin

2005 Year of Comparative Connections. DIA: Comparative connections? LOGZ:
Connection, first. Comparison, next. DIA: Check. Comparable ways of
connecting. LOGZ: Selection outcomes, first. Comparative Connections,
next.