<figure> is no help here; I'm not marking up an in-text figure, but
rather a reference to an object in a text:

I agree about the absence of a general-purpose "citation" set of
elements in P4. The language in the P4 guidelines, however, is very
biblio-centric: see, for example, the description of <title>,
specifically the description of the level attribute. How would one
translate these concepts (analytic, monographic, journal title, serial
title, unpublished) into a non-print-publishing domain? the m value
seems straightforward, but the others are odd.

--Cliff