The chord question might be interestingly approached from the perspective
of the one-handed user.

Someone once wrote to me off list:

<quote>Oh, if we could remake the interface!  (I'd love to be able to
keyboard one-handedly, leaving the other to point.)</quote>

Don't some of us do that already? In a Windows environment I will set up
the mouse on the left hand side and navigate or invoke commands with a
combo of cursor movement, mouse clicks and keyboard short cuts.

For Emacs it sits on the right. It only becomes apparent now that the left
hand gets a fine workout in Unix interfaces. Could those chords have a
piano playing origin?

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/jardin

2005 Year of Comparative Connections. DIA: Comparative connections? LOGZ:
Connection, first. Comparison, next. DIA: Check. Comparable ways of
connecting. LOGZ: Selection outcomes, first. Comparative Connections,
next.