James Cummings wrote:

> Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>>My (overhasty) suggestion was based on the view that the white space you
>>are seeing in the manuscript represents a point where material (the
>>missing capital) has been omitted by the scribe-as-transcriber (from
>>some other source). But of course James is entirely right in suggesting
>>that it is more likely that Dot-as-encoder is more likely to want to
>>record what the missing capital should have been, and therefore to wish
>>to record it as <supplied>. There is also a lot to be said for the view
>>that what you should tag is the presence of unexpected whitespace i.e.

Let me hold out my two cents for <space/>, still. As Lou points out it
depends on who the transcriber is supposed to be, but also how deep the
analysis of the text is. If your goal is a diplomatic transcription,
then you are looking at a <space/>. That it is a space for a missing
capital is an editorial conclusion. If the text is editorial, then the
physical space may be a textual <gap/> in the text.

For some reason tei-c's not letting me in to check the space and gap
definitions, but let's say that would be my natural language interpretation.

> In P5 wouldn't this be handled by <choice>?
> <choice>
>   <corr>R</corr>
> </choice>
>
> But <choice> doesn't allow <supplied> as a child does it?

Is this maybe a flaw in choice? What would be the janus pair for supplied?

-dan

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Associate Professor of English