Triple slash Peter signed the following:

> [Incidentally, in the earlier stages of my research I dissected the
> interfaces of some 20 XML editors, and found that almost every one of
> them provided the identical set of about 50 markup-based operations.
> Perhaps unsurprising, given that these operations can be deduced to
> be required in order to enable or ease the editing of markup to
> conformance with SGML/XML, but instructive that "all XML editors have
> the same set of markup-editing features" no matter what the marketing
> or proselytisation blurb says. Among the very few missing features
> was the oddity that Emacs/psgml/xxml has a "split element" command
> but no "join-element-to-preceding-of-the-same-type" command.]

With Lisp and XSLT, can a macro be built that picks up the current
location of the cursor, pass that somehow to an XSLT transform and outputs
the result to overwrite the buffer? This opens to a larger question of
navigating a document instance via XPATH expressions. Depending on the
complexity of the markup, it might sometimes be nice to issue the command
Go to the last descendant of the nth sibling...

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/jardin

2005 Year of Comparative Connections. DIA: Comparative connections? LOGZ:
Connection, first. Comparison, next. DIA: Check. Comparable ways of
connecting. LOGZ: Selection outcomes, first. Comparative Connections,
next.