Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=111). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV 16.5 - CONLANG Archives

Philip Newton wrote:

> It's the diphthong in the first syllable of the Esperanto word for
> Europe (Eŭropo), for example, but I think that even in Esperanto, [Ew]
> (spelled |eŭ|) is uncommon. And off the top of my head, I can't think
> of any other language that has [Ew], though perhaps Belarusian or
> Polish does?

Not Polish. Not sure about Belarusian, but Slavic langs in general don't
seem to be too fond of diphthongs (excluding [j] glides, and combinations
with [w] <ł> in Polish). In fact, I can't think of a single Polish word
with a diphthong.

But what am I saying? Surely <Europa>, <auto> and other borrowings have
diphthongs, <Europa> with [Ew]. I'm not sure though.

 > Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

s.