>Subject: Re: dialects of Hebrew? & Lemba
>Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:15:31 -0500
>
>On Mar 16, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>>From: Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>
>
>>On Mar 15, 2005, at 5:29 AM, Rodlox R wrote:
>>>Out of curiosity, are there any websites or [not overly expensive]
>>>books
>>>that show at least some of the dialect differences between the spoken
>>>Hebrew of, for example, Spain and China?
>>
>>The only thing like that i know is the article "Pronunciations of
>>Hebrew" in the Encyclopedia Judaica.  And it doens't have China.
>
>Hebrew was a dead language at the time it reached Spain (as such) and
>probably China as well (though I'm not sure who you mean in China);

the Chinese Jews.

(I learned of their existance when I was a member of a Khazaria egroup --
someone posted a link to a website about the Jews of China...though I don't
have that bookmark on this computer).

and, according to that History Channel program I watched the other day, the
Lemba claim descent from the Kingdom of Israel (not Judah), when Assyria
invaded...then they went to Yemen, East Africa, and on down to South Africa.
  _ http://www.historychannel.com/diggingforthetruth/?page=archive _

>"dialect" doesn't really apply here unless you're asking about Ladino.

  Ladino, Sephardic, etc.

  it wasn't until I signed off the internet  that I remembered the proper
term: "Hebrew-based or derived from Hebrew"....."accent" had been the best I
could think of.

my apologies.

>I haven't heard that the pronunciation of Hebrew in Spain was
>significantly different from modern Sephardic pronunciation, although
>some possible changes include the pronunciation of both variants of the
>letter bet as b (a Spanish habit which persists to this day in some
>Western Sephardic communities) and pronunciation of resh as uvular r
>rather than alveolar r (under Portuguese influence).  But those are
>just guesses.

better guesses than I could have made, most certainly.