On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:06:37 -0500, Rob Haden <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Nice little text.  I decided to translate it into Thalassan (in its
> current state).  Here it is:

Thanks, I thought it would be suitable for a short translation because
it was complex to challenge me, and brief enough to not become a task.

> Santun qanthui nihthuiva s'atas ris'tun kulphathuiva halti.  Murthis
> t'uskairan saht'athui halthin.  Itha lak'us vihulanthat lithatt'a visari
> hani pait'athupi vat'ni hani varithupi murthui kisn'us'at.
>

> Notes:
> 1. For the infinitive, I'm vacillating between -ma (as in many Uralic
> languages) and -thu (corresponding to the Sanskrit infinitive -tum, from
> the supine accusative).  I'll probably end up using both for different
> things -- I think that would be a nice touch.
> 2. Every word is stressed on its initial syllable.
> 3. The word _t'uskaira_ is a compound consisting of _t'us-_ 'bad' and the
> word _kaira_, roughly translatable to 'times, season, state of affairs'
> (borrowed from (substrate) Greek).  So the word is more akin
> to 'misfortune' than 'danger'.
> 4. The ending -va is an enclitic meaning 'or'.
> 5. An apostrophe after a stop indicates glottalization, while after a non-
> stop it indicates palatalization.
> 6. For some reason, I've found the 2pl endings (both imperative and
> indicative) difficult to do.  They'll most likely be different from their
> forms above (-ti and -thin, respectively).

Interesting stuff, Rob. I suppose i should've included notes like you
did, now that I think of it. I like your use of the apostrophe to
indicate glottalization or palatalization.

--
Inu payangyara unamey ati tal amariey ka sey, payangyara kria?
Yanaysatra sonataya atan inu jumoey ati atan matawsara jumoey ati.