Since these advertisements contain no graphical material of any sort,
I think <figure> would be a stretch, but thanks for the thought.
These are blobs of text that say things like "also by the same
author, [title of book], etc."

involved at all. To use <table> would be a gross misuse of the
element; in fact I think the term "tag abuse" would be too mild...
tag perversion? tag sadism? This smacks of pre-CSS HTML formatting.
If I'm that desperate, I could embed the advertisement in a <text>
element and shoehorn it in that way.

Ah well--I think the real solution (not available in P4, but I'll
suggest it for P5) is to allow <ab> within <titlePage> and use <ab
type="advertisement">.

Thanks for your thoughts!

best wishes, Julia