James Cummings wrote:
> Roberto Rosselli Del Turco wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>another plea for advice: as I will surely have to customize the TEI DTD
>>for my documents, which are in a somewhat fluid state at present, would
>>you suggest that I do that for the current DTD (P4) and consider moving
>>to P5 only after the project is complete, or the reverse? Does moving to
>>P5 make more sense *now* that I haven't yet finalized the markup?
>

> I've been trying to do my own markup entirely in P5 now.  I've not (yet)
> been bitten by using something extensively and then having it change.

I'd say the answer for *right now* depends on how far along you are in
your project. For people beginning a new project, I'd say P5 is the way
to go, since your markup will be obsolete otherwise before you are
finished. For a project already committed to P4 markup or facing a short
deadline, I'd say stick with P4 until the documentation and practice for
P5 has caught up with where you are. The type of "how do I encode..."
question we discuss here all the time and that sends us all scurrying to
the Guidelines isn't as easily ;) answered for P5 yet, both because
there is less experience and because the documentation isn't there yet.

In other words, I'm a big believer in being second.

-dan

P.S. In terms of modifying the dtd: why? I generally find it useful to
try and work within the dtd... and rarely have found something that
couldn't be done.
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Associate Professor of English