> In his book _Gender_, Greville Corbett says that there is no clear
> correlation between grammatical gender systems and sex roles in
> human societies.

I'll seek out the book to read, but I seldom take one person's
assertions as universally true.

As to the relationships between social gender and natlangs, I dislike
the ultra-feminist view (i.e. all men are forever out to oppress women
in any & every way) but am willing to entertain the idea that classes,
in a language which already has them, can shift to reflect a male bias.

Q: Am I the only one who perceives professional linguists as prone to
grab onto an idea and run it to its extreme? (e.g. Sapir-Wohrf
hypothesis)?