--- Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Christopher Wright wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:48:04 -0700, JC <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > > if I say s or sh and sort of curl my tongue tip
> > >up, I get the whistle.
> >
> > That might be as simple as [s`] -- the voiceless retroflex fricative. I
> > like that sound.
> That's what I've been thinking all along-- [s`] or else simply the "apical
> s", apparently with lip rounding.
> >

Could be. "Voiceless retroflex fricative", while I understand the words and can
do something that seems to qualify, doesn't tell me what it really sounds like.
And apical just means articulated with the tongue tip, right? Is that less
vague than it sounds?

Mine doesn't have any lip rounding.

And yes, Gopher from Winnie the Pooh does it :-) Not who I was thinking of, but
I found a sound clip.


Watch the Reply-To...